Monday, May 7, 2012

Korean Learn (Level 2 part 6) [but, however]



here we wana learn two more conjunctive words that you can used at the begin of the sentence.

these words has the same mean, "however" or "but"

those words are
그렇지만 (geureochiman) = but, however
그런대 (geureonde) = but, however

Example
피곤해요. 그렇지만 영화 보고 싶어요 (pigonhaeyo. geureochiman yeonghwa bogo sipeoyo) = I'm tired. But I want to watch a movie

with the same means used another conjuctive words
피곤해요. 그런데 영화 보고 싶어요 (pigonhaeyo. geureonde yeonghwa bogo sipeoyo)

both of it has the same means "but" or "however" but there is some difference between th usages of these two words.

example
1. 어제 이거 샀어요. 그렇지만 정말 커요 (eoje igeo sasseoyo. geureochiman jeongmal keoyo) = I bought this yesterday. geureochiman its really big
*here geurochiman mean but or however. its contrasting both sentence


2. 어제 이거 샀어요. 그런데 정말 커요 (eoje igeo sasseoyo. geureonde jeongmal keoyo) = I bought this yesterday. geureonde its really big
*here geureonde mean "but" and at the

same time it can means "and". no contrasting here ^_^

summary
그렇지만 (geureochiman) = 'but'
그런데 (geureonde) = but or and depending on the context ^_^

if we want to contras two sentences and say "ABC but DEF" we can choose either 그렇지만 (geureochiman) or 그런데 (geureonde)

if we wanna introduce 2 actions or status that occurred one after another an if the firs sentence work as background information for the second sentence only use 그런데 (geureonde)


example

어제 학교에 갔어요. 그렇지만 일요일 이었어요. (eoje hakgyoe gasseoyo. geureochiman iryoil ieosseoyo) = I went to school yesterday. but it was sunday

어제 학교에 갔어요. 그런데 일요일 이었어요. (eoje hakgyoe gasseoyo. geureonde iryoil ieosseoyo) that means :
I went to school yesterday. but it was sunday
I went to school yesterday. and by the way, it was sunday
I went to school yesterday. and as I found out after I went, it was sunday

so that 그런데 has more mean ^_^

그러치만 are has very forml nuanced so that korean people much more comonly used 그런데 than 그렇지만 and 그렇지만 is commonly used by writen language

sample sentence
어제 과음했어요. 그런데 말짱해요.
eoje gwaeumhaesseoyo. geureonde maljjanghaeyo.
I drank to much yesterday. But I am okay now.

과음하다 (gwaeumhada) = to drink to much
말짱하다 (maljjanghada) = 말쩡하다 (maljjeonghada) = to be perfectly okay

now u can say but, however, and etc....

see you at part 7 ^_^ gamsahamnid for learning together ^_^




Credit : TTMIK
Posted by : @LeeSoYoung_soe
Facebook Fan Page : SoYoung The Kpopers
Please take full Credit if you share this.... credit me SoYoungTheKPopers.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment